Sunday, June 14, 2009

School's Out!

My son arrived home from college a few days ago and said: "Evan's home, so you know it's summer." So true. The house can get pretty quiet when even one member is missing. After a tough sophomore year in high school, my daughter Caitlin is finished too, finally, although she opted to take a summer school course to lighten her schedule in the fall. (Or maybe to avoid getting a job the year she turned 16?? LOL) Two kids and two dogs will make the summer hectic and less conducive to working but I know it will fly by fast and the next 2 summers as well and pretty soon it will be even quieter with just me and my husband (and still the dogs!) so I'm not complaining about the noise just yet.

Here's a quilt I made for Evan the summer before he left for college in 2007. I used 6 1/2" scrap squares with 3 1/4" x 6 1/2" black print sashing strips and scrappy 3 1/4" x 3 1/4" cornerstone squares.



I love this quilt because it's unlike anything I've ever made before--it was all about him and his style, not me and what I like--a challenge. I did manage to throw in a few Civil War reproduction scraps here and there, though, and some blue.



I agonized over the design--what kind of quilt could I possibly make for him that would be quick and easy and hold up to college dorm life and also allow me to use up my scraps? Almost like making a quilt for a Civil War soldier--quick, scrappy and destined to be well used on the college battlefield. I was working on quilts for my book Remembering Adelia as well that summer and my time was at a premium. It ended up being a very non-traditional quilt (for me, at least, using black and brights) in a simple, traditional style for a somewhat artsy kid. He liked it! Some of the large patches have random writings (written in tiny script, with a fine point permanent marker) from me and a few family members: "Love you so much!" "Do well--we're so proud of you!" He's never mentioned them AT ALL so I'm not sure if he even knows they're there. But I know, and it comforts me that he's not only wrapped in the quilt when he's away but the words and thoughts too. Sentimental, I know.



After working hard at school, taking a break and working hard at video games.

4 comments:

Renate Bischoff said...

Hallo Kathleen,
a good choice, the pattern makes a wonderful quilt for a young man. And it is a nice idea with the random writings!
Renate

Carol said...

What a perfect college quilt. I love the idea of the random writings...what a treat from home.

Christine Staver said...

KT, Love the quilt you made for your son to go off to college. What a great way to use up scraps. It does make you wonder if he saw the comments that you wrote.

I also made a quilt for my daughter when she went off to college in 2007, but she loves Asian fabrics. Your son is doing what my daughter has been doing since she got home. She had a really hard semester and is enjoying her down time.

Chris from smallquilttalk

Kathleen Tracy said...

Chris,
Sounds like she is working really hard as well. MIT!! Be proud. Evan's summer job starts this week so he definitely deserves his down time too.

The black fabric in his quilt is actually sort of an Asian print and even tho it looks solid in the photo it has brown and gold in it too and looks really cool up close.

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails