Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Cozy Day at Home

It's snowing! We bought the tree and all the lights are on. We'll get it trimmed later tonight. A small portion of the house is decorated. I've brought out the Chrsitmas dishes and the Christmas cds. Beef stew is cooking in the crock pot. And I have a new obsession - Wool Applique.
 


 
 
As usual, I'm a little late on this craft too. But I'm having fun and now I can do something with all that wool I bought earlier this year. See the pattern for this cute little Russian doll ornament here.   Shhhh! I'm making one for my daughter for Christmas.
 
I'm making my doll in red with a gray backing. Don't have pink for her cheeks yet. Maybe some prettier ribbon trim too? Honestly, I feel like I'm all thumbs. It took me most of the day to get this far . . . .
 
 
I would like to make a few more if only I were a little faster at this darn blanket stitch . . .  I need more practice. But now that I do wool applique I have a few ideas for simpler ones (although this one is pretty simple. You should try it.).


What could be better than a cozy day and night at home?

15 comments:

paulette said...

Your day sounds lovely...but it's your beef stew that caught my attention...YUM!! Perfect stew weather here right now!! I might have to make a pot!! :o)))
P

Susan said...

What a gorgeous view out your window.....I would happily trade my very hot, dry day for some cold, snowy weather! Thanks for the link for the little Babushka, it's a very cute pattern.

Leeanne said...

You have just described my fav day! I love winter......but alas, here in NZ it is a hot humid summer already! The tree is up, literally.....I have hung my tree up from the ceiling, just for fun......but no snow :-(

Ann in PA said...

Thank you for the sweet wool pattern. Wool applique is a favorite of mine, also. Sounds like you had a perfect winter day!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Your ornament looks great--one of my goals for 2014 is learning wool appliqué

http://thankfullga447 said...

I am working on a wool applique also, I have had the kit for 2 years and I enjoyed doing the blanket stitch.

Karen said...

It sounds like you've had the perfect day. Your home looks so warm and cozy. I love your ornament...it is so cute with the deep red.
The stew looks delicious and a perfect meal for a nice cold winter day.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a wonderful day! All cozy and warm, with good food and a new craft. I find the wool applique very appealing--maybe I need a new craft . . .

Mrs. Smythe said...

Sounds blissful! A cozy day, crafting, comfort food...it doesn't get much better than that. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a wool applique kit - looks fun.

moosecraft said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of wool! ;-) Your Russian doll looks so cute! You can always use blush for the cheeks... or lightly paint on a watered down paint or food coloring... Your beef stew looks delicious! Gotta love crockpots! :-)

Anonymous said...

I think your doll is lovely! I love the place mat under your stew (which looks delicious) - did you make and quilt it, and is there a pattern?

Cindy P said...

I love wool applique because it is so fast, but I gave up on the blanket stitch a long time ago, Unless the piece absolutely needs the blanket stitch for decoration, I whip stitch with matching matching thread. My favorite is Superior Bottom Line 60 wt.

Your days sounds lovely!
Cindy

GO STARS! said...

I've got beef stew in the crockpot right now! I used to have a crockpot just like yours but it finally quit working so well and needed replaced. It gave many years of good cooking.
Love the Russian doll ornaments.

mayme said...

Love the little Russian doll. I have collected lots of wool. Need to learn how to use it. The stew looks yummy. I have those same dishes!

Candee said...

That's my idea of a great day! Wool appliqué is one of my favorites. On small projects like your ornament, I use an evenly spaced tacking stitch. It goes much faster. I find the blanket stitch sometimes is too much on those little pieces. Happy stitching!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails