Friday, June 24, 2016

Friday Night Clubbing


Doll quilt clubbing, that is . . . At my age, that's more my speed. I'm usually in bed by 10:30.

I am just finishing up the quilting on the first quilt for my  *new*  doll quilt Club -  Papa's Shirts & Mama's Dresses,  Small Quilts from My Scrap Basket.  Don't be fooled by the picture in the pattern sample you saw in the last blog post -  that's just one of my old quilts. The club will have all NEW quilts. They are being worked on as we speak. Don't worry, I'll have it all finished in time.


I wanted to keep the first quilt a surprise until those of you who ordered the Club receive your package in the mail in a couple of weeks. But I thought you'd like to see some of the left over fabrics I used to make it.


Of course you can make your quilt any way you like with any color fabrics  - that's part of the fun. But I also know some of you will want to make it with the same colors because it's just too darn cute.

Patterns are expected to ship sometime in mid-July. I have to finish the quilting on the quilt (almost done), bind it, take photos for the pattern booklet first, then get it to the printer. I'll be busy, busy, busy for awhile so you all have to be patient with me. Trust me, it will be worth it. The quilts are very cute.


For this first quilt, I am also recommending that you purchase a Clover Bias Tape Maker in the 1/4 inch size if you don't already have one. (Some of you will be able to figure out why, LOL.) Or, if you are comfortable using pressing bars to make some thin strips to applique, then you can use those in place of the bias tape maker.


Some of you may have used pressing bars for the Civil War Baskets Quilt in one of my books.


The Clover tape maker was recommended to me and although I am not really that much of a gadget person it sure worked great for this particular quilt and now I am a convert. I'll have to run out and get more in various sizes. I've always been late to hop on the gadget train . . . . but better late than never.

                        

You may have figured out that my club is called "Papa's Shirts" for a reason. Every quilt will make use of shirtings mixed with reproduction prints.  So, if you're itching to get started, go through your collection of shirtings and pull out a few different ones and put them aside for the quilts. Or perhaps shop for more. You deserve to buy more fabric. Then, for this little quilt, gather up some red, pink, tan, indigo and medium blue fabrics too. You won't need much. If you're like me, they're probably already in your scrap basket.  This particular small quilt will have 6 blocks. There are five different prints in those colors mentioned mixed with various shirting backgrounds. (I used indigo twice. Love indigo.)
                         
Sorry, but that's all I'm giving you for today. I know, I know - what a tease.  Have a great weekend. I need to get back to work.

                                             Order the Club here.




6 comments:

quiltgrannie said...

Kathy, your such a tease!!!

Robin McGuire said...

I can't wait!

Robin McGuire said...

I can't wait!

Jennifer M said...

It's hard to contain the excitement! I have been thinking about your book coming out at the end of the year and now your club even before the book!!!!! Kathy you sure know how to make us HAPPY:)))

marian said...

Kathy, i love surprises and i know i'm going to love belonging to your new Doll Quilt Club!! Right now, i'm in the middle of making the Sisters Signature quilt from the American Schoolgirls club.. love how the blocks are coming together.. so cute :))

Karen Andreola said...

I'm in my first year of quilting. I've been fond of the friendship star since I saw it and am in the middle of piecing the quilt one in your book, "Praire Children and Their quilts". So far I haven't cut off any points. Yeah. Today I signed up for the club. In anticipation, Karen

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails